Welcome back to Therapy Chat! This week host Laura Reagan, LCSW-C interviews Dr. Nicole Christian-Brathwaite, MD of Array Behavioral Care. Dr. Nicole is a child and adult psychiatrist in Massachusetts and provides education, consultation and coaching on mental health, trauma and the impact of race and culture on mental health.
Nicole Christian-Brathwaite, MD is a double board-certified adult and child and adolescent psychiatrist. Dr. Christian-Brathwaite received her medical degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and completed her adult psychiatry residency and child and adolescent psychiatry fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital/ Mclean Hospital, a Harvard Medical School affiliate. She is the founder and CEO of Well Minds Psychiatry and Consulting Company, which provides psychiatric and therapeutic treatment as well as education, consultation and coaching on mental health and trauma, wellness and self-care, implicit bias and understanding mental illness in children of color.
Dr. Christian-Brathwaite has written numerous articles for scientific or medical publications and frequently speaks about the impact trauma, race and culture have on mental health. She also serves on the Board of Directors for the Post-Partum Depression Fund of Massachusetts and Families for Depression Awareness and is the Disparities Lead for the COVID-19 Action Coalition of Massachusetts.
In this interview, you will hear Dr. Nicole and Laura talking about:
- Why children are struggling even more than usual in this time – the Fall season of 2021 when the show was recorded, as well as during this period of history.
- How racial trauma and other traumatic experiences of marginalization, violence, oppression, discrimination are affecting children on top of the stress of living during a pandemic and the individual and family stressors that were present prior to the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The deficit of treatment options available in the United States’s overtaxed mental health systems.
- Specific actions parents and teachers can take to support children who are impacted by trauma, including racial trauma.
- How Array Behavioral Health telepsychiatry can fill in some of the gaps in treatment availability and access.
Dr. Nicole Christian-Brathwaite’s website: www.arraybc.com
Phone number for help with accessing services: 1-800-442-8938
Thank you to SuperBill for sponsoring this week’s episode!
SuperBill is free for therapists, and your clients can use the code THERAPYCHAT to get a free month of the service. Also, you can earn $100 for every therapist you refer. Learn more at www.thesuperbill.com!
This week’s episode is also sponsored by Trauma Therapist Network.
Therapists, join by 1/31/22 and lock in the lowest membership rate. You’ll have a beautiful listing for your practice that helps trauma survivors find you so they can receive the right kind of help for their particular need. And you’ll have access to additional support coming soon!
Starting in March 2022, 4 monthly calls are added to the membership at the original Founding Member rate if you join by January 31, 2022. After February 1 the membership price goes up to $97 per month (still a steal for all the content!) so this is your chance to get the lowest pricing that will be offered for the lifetime of your membership! Join now at www.traumatherapistnetwork.com!
Podcast produced by Pete Bailey – https://petebailey.net/audio