Therapy Chat Episode 191
Thank you to this episode’s sponsor, TherapyNotes. Get a 2-month free trial of TherapyNotes by going to www.TherapyNotes.com and using the promo code TherapyChat.
Welcome back to Therapy Chat! In today’s podcast host Laura Reagan revisits an earlier episode speaking to Dr Jonice Webb about understanding childhood emotional neglect.
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- The definition of Childhood Emotional Neglect: a parent’s failure to respond enough to the child’s emotional needs
- This condition is different from physical neglect and abuse.
- In her private practice, Dr. Jonice kept seeing patients with the same patterns.
- She has identified 12 different types of parenting styles that lead to Childhood Emotional Neglect.
- Children of CEN end up treating their children with the same patterns of behaviors, and no one really knows what’s wrong.
- Dr. Jonice has developed a questionnaire, designed for adults, to determine if you’ve been affected by this condition.
- Her book gives examples of what happens to a child with real-life vignettes.
- How to heal from CEN?
- Fully recognize and accept that CEN happened.
- Welcome back and get in touch with walled-off emotions.
- Dr. Webb wants to put together training for CEU’s for therapists who want to work on this specialty, but first, she wants to complete a research project to compile results.
- She is working on making a page on her website listing mental health providers who can work with people on CEN.
Download the free Therapy Chat app here (ios only)
Please consider supporting Therapy Chat by becoming a member on Patreon! Just $1 a month would make a huge impact to keep Therapy Chat going strong! To learn more head to - https://patreon.com/TherapyChat where members get special perks and swag too!
Leave me a message via Speakpipe by going to https://therapychatpodcast.com and clicking on the green Speakpipe button.
Thank you for listening to Therapy Chat! Please be sure to go to iTunes and leave a rating and review, subscribe and download episodes. You can also download the Therapy Chat app on iTunes by clicking here.
Podcast produced by Pete Bailey - https://petebailey.net/audio