Therapy Chat Episode 289
Click here to download a transcript of this episode.
Welcome back to Therapy Chat! This week, host Laura Reagan LCSW-C interviews returning guest Dr. Kat Kaeni, who is a perinatal mental health therapist and the host of the awesome Mom & Mind podcast. She’s also the author of the new book, The Pregnancy Workbook: Managing anxiety and worry with CBT and mindfulness techniques. In this episode you’ll hear:
- What trauma can feel like when it shows up during pregnancy (even if you don’t identify with having a trauma history)
- How birth can be traumatic even when you’ve made a birth plan
- How a history of sexual trauma can be activated during the birthing process
- The importance of empowerment and consent during the birthing process
- The effects of a traumatic birth, particularly when your child experiences trauma during birth
- How attachment wounds can sneak up on us when we become parents
- The cyclical nature of trauma and attachment wounds
- That seeking out therapy for perinatal mental health is brave
- The importance of learning to nurture yourself if you weren’t nurtured enough as a child.
Katayune Kaeni, Psy.D., PMH-C, is a psychologist in private practice specializing perinatal mental health, host of the Mom & Mind Podcast with Dr. Kat and Author of The Pregnancy Workbook: Manage Anxiety and Worry with CBT and Mindfulness Techniques. Dr. Kat is a Postpartum Support International board member-at-large and Chair of Education, Training and Certification.
She began specializing in perinatal mental health eleven years ago after her own experience through postpartum depression, postpartum anxiety and postpartum OCD. She now supports and advocates for perinatal families in any way she can.
Listen to Mom & Mind Podcast here: www.momandmind.com
Find everything Dr. Kat is doing here: www.drkaeni.com
Find a perinatal mental health therapist at Postpartum Support International
Buy Dr. Kat’s book on Amazon here!
Thank you to Sunset Lake CBD for sponsoring this week’s episode! Sunset Lake CBD is created on a small farm outside of Burlington, Vermont that is a producer for Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream.
Sunset Lake CBD customers support regenerative agriculture that preserves the health of the land and creates meaningful employment in the community. Farm workers are paid a living wage, and employees own the majority of the company.
Therapy Chat listeners, get 20% off your entire order of Sunset Lake CBD products using promo code CHAT at www.sunsetlakecbd.com.
To be in the know about Laura’s new podcast, Trauma Chat, which is now live, go to www.traumachatpod.com and sign up for the email list! You’ll receive a free gift for signing up!
Podcast produced by Pete Bailey – https://petebailey.net/audio