Trauma Chat Episode 05
In this week’s episode, host Laura Reagan, LCSW-C, a trauma therapist, consultant and coach, explains the diagnosis of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) as written in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition - also known as the DSM-5, the manual published by the American Psychiatric Association that is used in the US to guide mental health diagnoses.
In this episode you will hear:
- Laura explains the diagnostic criteria that has to be met in order to confirm a PTSD diagnosis
- That people can have severe trauma symptoms that don’t meet the criteria for a PTSD diagnosis
- Laura gives examples of how various trauma symptoms may show up in our lives
- This information can be helpful for anyone who is wondering whether they are affected by trauma symptoms, even if their symptoms don’t meet the criteria for a full blown PTSD diagnosis (there are other trauma related diagnoses).
- This diagnosis has some limitations.
- In a future episode we will talk about the Complex PTSD Diagnosis that is not in the DSM but is in the ICD
Resources for this Episode:
Leave a message with a question to be included in a future episode: https://www.speakpipe.com/traumachatpod
Follow Trauma Chat on Instagram: www.instagram.com/traumachatpod
Follow Trauma Therapy Coaching & Consulting on Facebook: www.facebook.com/traumatherapyconsulting
Get more information on Trauma Chat at: www.traumachatpod.com. Sign up for the email list to stay in touch and receive a free gift!
To listen to Laura’s other podcast, Therapy Chat, go to: www.therapychatpodcast.com
If you like Trauma Chat please go to iTunes and leave a rating and review and subscribe to receive each episode as soon as it comes out.
Podcast Produced by Pete Bailey – https://petebailey.net/audio